Well, we’re bracing, here. We’ve gotten some snow. Roads are a mess. Emily and I went out today, and it took forever to get anywhere.
The weather forecasters are now telling us to expect: temperatures below 20F (unusually cold for us), more snow, and winds gusting up to 90mph. If we really get winds like that, I’m expecting it will take our internet connectivity out, and we’ll surely be without power. Based on past experience, in an extended power failure (longer than 24 hours) our phone service will go out. I’m more hopeful about cell service – I have backup internet connectivity using an EVDO modem, and we have cell phones, of course. But one never knows, really.
In that high winds/more snow scenario I expect to spend several days afterward pushing a chainsaw, cutting our way out to the main road and clearing the main road to town. Just a few days ago, I fluffed and buffed both saws, put nice new, sharp chains on both, and installed a new pull cord on the small saw. Both are full of gas, full of chain oil, and ready to go. Sigh.
And the generator was repaired just a couple of weeks ago, and has been happily doing its weekly calisthenics without complaint. It should be ready to go. We got tanked up on propane just this past weekend, so we should be ok there.
We’re even stocked up on food, and we don’t really need to peek our noses out until Sunday afternoon, late, when we need to go pick up Greg at the airport. He was supposed to fly home today but his flight was cancelled, and Sunday is the earliest we could get. Grrr.
Hopefully, all this preparation will turn out to have been unnecessary. But if this blog is quiet for a few days, you’ll know why.