A while back I read on Paul Lester’s blog about the cameras we’ve used. I thought I’d make a list. I’ve probably left something out, but here’s what I can remember.
- Agfa 6×7 folder
- Kodak Instamatic 110 camera
- Pentax H1a and Spotmatic (actually belonged to my dad)
- Minolta Autocord (also belonged to my dad, but I have it now)
- a Pentax point and shoot 35mm autofocus camera (can’t remember the model)
- Canon EOS Elan
- Canon A2e
- Olympus Stylus
- Zone VI field camera (borrowed from my friend Bryan)
- Wisner 4×5 Technical Field
- Linhof Technikardan 45s **
- Olympus C-2000z (my first digital camera)
- Leica M6
- Minolta dImage X (an experiment in very small cameras)
- Canon a95
- Canon EOS 5d (my first digital SLR)
- Canon G9 **
- Canon EOS 5d mk II **
What’s striking to me is the cameras I remember really well.
I can remember the 6×7 folder as if I still had it in my hands, although it was given to me when I was very young and I couldn’t possibly have made very many photographs with it. I remember wanting to take a photo of a duck, and my dad warned me that in the photo the duck would be very small. In my mind, the duck was big and important, and then in the photo it was small and distant, and I remember quite distinctly looking at the photo and being disappointed but also thinking that perhaps cameras didn’t see quite the way people did, and wasn’t that interesting?
More on cameras later, perhaps.